|Abbreviation||FT / PT|
|PGDE||FT / PT|
The Postgraduate Diploma in Education [PGDE] programme prepares university graduates to teach mainly in schools within Hong Kong. It offers both full-time and part-time mode of study. The full-time programme extends over one academic year and provides initial professional teacher training for students without previous teaching experience. The part-time programme extends over two academic years and provides in-service teachers with professional training and a basis for continuing professional development. The PGDE is a teacher training qualification recognised by the Education Bureau of the HKSAR Government.
Mode of Attendance
Full Time (normally one year, up to a maximum of two years, with classes possibly on weekday evenings and/or Saturday)
Part Time (normally two years, up to a maximum of four years, with classes on weekday evenings and/or Saturday)
Medium of Instruction
Programme Entrance Requirements
A candidate shall satisfy both the University Admission Requirements and the Programme Specific Requirements as listed below:
1. comply with the General Regulations and the Regulations for Taught Postgraduate Curricula;
2. hold a Bachelor's degree of this University or a qualification of equivalent standard from this University or another comparable institution accepted for this purpose;
3. normally expected to have completed a substantial portion of his/her undergraduate studies in the major subject for which he/she wishes to apply;
4. normally be a serving teacher in Hong Kong schools with a minimum of one year of relevant teaching experience (for part-time applicants only);
5. for qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong where the language of teaching and/or examination is not English, a candidate is required to obtain a score of 550 or above (paper-based test) or 80 or above (internet-based) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)#; a minimum overall band of 6 with no subtest lower than 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)#; or Grade C or above in either the Overseas General Certificate of Education, the International General Certificate of Secondary Education, or the Cambridge Test of Proficiency in English Language; and
6. satisfy the examiners in a qualifying examination, if required.
#For admission, only TOEFL or IELTS scores recorded in the two years before the date of application will be considered.
Programme Admissions Advisor(s)
Dr Arthur Lee
List of Programmes
Full Time: 12:00 noon (GMT +8), November 25, 2019
Part Time: 12:00 noon (GMT +8), February 28, 2020