University Entrance Requirements
To be eligible for admission to the courses leading to a taught postgraduate qualification, a candidate:
a) shall comply with the General Regulations;
b) shall hold a Bachelor's degree of this University or a qualification of equivalent standard from this University or another comparable institution accepted for this purpose;
c) shall satisfy any other admission requirements which may be prescribed from time to time for the relevant curriculum; and
d) for a candidate who is seeking admission on the basis of a qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong of which the language of teaching and/or examination is not English, shall satisfy the University English language requirement applicable to high degrees as prescribed under General Regulation G2(b).
An application for exemption from the above requirements shall be considered on a case by case basis.
English Language Requirements
In addition to satisfying the requirements for admission to the curriculum concerned, an applicant who is seeking admission on the basis of a qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong of which the language of teaching and/or examination is not English is required to obtain one of the following examination result.
A. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
1. a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL; or
2. a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL; or
3. a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
B. IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
A minimum overall band of 6 with no subtest lower than 5.5; or
C. GCE (General Certificate of Education)
Grade C or above; or
D. IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education)
Grade C or above; or
E. Cambridge Test of Proficiency in English Language
Grade C or above
1. Unless in exceptional circumstances he is exempted from this requirement by the relevant Board of the Faculty or Board of Studies, in the case of higher degrees by coursework.
2. Applicants for admission to read for a higher degree by coursework in the Faculty of Arts (except those seeking admission to the School of Chinese and the Centre of Buddhist Studies) are also required to obtain a Test of Written English (TWE) score of 4 or above or a Writing score of 25 or above in the internet-based TOEFL.
3. Applicants for admission to read for a higher degree by coursework in the Faculty of Arts (except those seeking admission to the Centre of Buddhist Studies) are required to obtain a score of overall band of 7 with no subtest lower than 5.5 in the IELTS.
Programme Entrance Requirements
For more information on the programme admissions requirements, please click here.