Student life isn't just about learning in class: undergraduates have the chance to undertake their own original research through HKU's Undergraduate Research Fellowship Programme, while some faculties also offer them the chance to assist faculty members' research through the Student Researcher Scheme.
Young Scientist Scheme (YSS)
As a strong, research-oriented faculty, the Faculty of Science is committed to providing our students with the best science education and incubating future scientists. YSS provides outstanding students with ample early research experiences in 6901 BSc Programme.
Students in YSS are guaranteed with:
- Enrolment in our flagship Summer Research Fellowship (SRF) Scheme to conduct research under the supervision of our professors in the first summer
- A further SRF or Overseas Research Fellowship (ORF) in a foreign institution in subsequent years
- International exchange, visiting or summer study at world class universities overseas
- Attendance in international scientific conference on frontier research
- Guidance from a research mentor individually from the start of the undergraduate study
- Enrolment in our Frontiers of Science Honours Seminar to learn how our award-winning professors solve their research problems
- Stipends for all the aforesaid research activities
- An entrance scholarship ranging from HKD 20,000 to HKD 70,000#
# The amount to be approved. For JUPAS students with a total score of 35 or above in their best 5 HKDSE subjects (Category A subjects and M1/M2).
Scholarship for Non-JUPAS students are considered on a case-by-case basis.
For programme details, please visit: http://www.scifac.hku.hk/yss
Undergraduate Research Fellowship Programme
The Undergraduate Research Fellowship Programme (URFP) is a prestigious programme aimed to enhance students' learning experience and to nurture the next generation of researchers/scholars. It offers opportunities for academically outstanding undergraduate students to undertake research under the guidance and supervision of academics who have a strong research track record and experience in training research postgraduate students. Students enrolled in the URFP are required to undertake a research study. If research internship forms an essential part of the research study, the enrolled students will be considered for awards for undertaking such research internships locally, in the Mainland or overseas.
The URFP participants are eligible to enrol in specified postgraduate courses. Successful completion of the URFP will be recorded in the students' transcripts, and those who perform well under the URFP will be considered for early admission to research postgraduate programmes of the University.
For 2018-19, 34 overseas and local research internships were awarded and about 80 students have been enrolled under the URFP.