Sign Up for Programmes and Events Updates
About HKU Foundation Day
The University of Hong Kong (or HKU, as it is familiarly known to students, staff and alumni) is the oldest tertiary education institution in Hong Kong.
On March 16, 1910, Sir Frederick Lugard, the then Governor of Hong Kong, laid the foundation stone for the University. Since then, the HKU Foundation Day is celebrated on March 16 every year.
HKU Foundation Day Giveaway - One-on-one Personal Statement Coaching
One of the most frequently asked questions we received from high school students is what to write for their personal statement in their university applications. This year, to celebrate HKU's 110th Foundation Day, we are offering one-on-one personal statement coaching sessions to HKU applicants.
The coaching sessions will be conducted by HKU Student Ambassadors. We believe our HKU Student Ambassadors are in the best position to give high school students guidance in constructing their personal statement, provided that they had gone through the HKU application process and that of other world-leading universities.
The first 50 applicants who submit an online application to the University of Hong Kong via the International Admissions Scheme/Non-JUPAS Admissions Scheme for Undergraduate Programmes using an international qualification between April 1, 2020 to April 16, 2020, will be eligible for a 20-minute one-on-one coaching for writing a personal statement for their HKU application.
How to join
- Make sure that you have or will have a valid international qualification result for your HKU application (e.g. IB, GCE A-Level, SAT, AP, ACT).
- Submit an online application here between April 1, 2020 (00:00 HK Time) and April 16, 2020 (23:59 HK Time). You can submit your HKU application first and upload your personal statement after the coaching session.
- Fill out a form here for us to arrange a coaching session for you after we verify your eligibility.
- After your eligibility is verified, you will receive an email with details of the coaching session.
Terms and conditions
- This giveaway is only applicable for the first 50 applicants who submit an online application to the University of Hong Kong via the International Admissions Scheme/Non-JUPAS Admissions Scheme for Undergraduate Programmes using an international qualification between April 1, 2020 (00:00 HK Time) to April 16, 2020 (23:59 HK Time).
- Upon successful online application to HKU and submission of the e-form, eligible applicants will receive an email with arrangements of the coaching session within a week of the application. Ineligible applicants will not be notified.
- Applicants who are eligible for the coaching session will be contacted by HKU Student Ambassadors for the arrangements of the coaching session.
- The University of Hong Kong reserves the sole and absolute right to withdraw, amend and/or alter any part of the whole terms and conditions in relation to this giveaway at any time without giving any prior notice to the applicants and the applicants agree to be bound by those changes.
- The University of Hong Kong shall not be liable for any claims by the applicants or third-party claims or loses of any nature, including but not limited to, loss of profits, punitive, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages or for other damages and any related claims of any nature, including direct, indirect, third-part, consequential or other damages resulting from or in connection with this giveaway.
- The University of Hong Kong reserves the right of final decision in case of any dispute.