|Abbreviation to be used in the application form||Code||Number of first-year places|
Since 2012, the Faculty of Engineering has introduced the common admissions scheme, through which applicants can use one single code, 6963, to apply for any one of the seven BENG programmes.
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and
- Mechanical Engineering and Logistics Management
Features of BEng programmes are as follows:
- Contemporary Engineering education nurturing future leaders
- The Faculty of Engineering offers contemporary curriculum and stimulating learning experience for educating future leaders in the field of engineering and related fields for Hong Kong, and to nurture well-rounded graduates with specialty expertise at the present time and beyond.
- Broad-based engineering education with a wide range of choices
- Under the common admissions scheme, the education structure for the first academic year is common to all BEng students. The BEng curriculum shapes BEng students through a core set of requirements and experiences, and yet also allows flexibility through choice of disciplines and specializations.
- Stimulating learning experience
- Students will build solid foundations in engineering through active learning, capstone experience, hands-on activities, internship, exchanges studies and service learning, which prepares them to pursue any engineering discipline in their studies.
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- The curriculum encourages Engineering students to be nurtured to be able to offer solutions to real life problems via design and innovation, and to foster and advocate entrepreneurship.
- Academic advising
- Academic advising is in place to guide students for their course selection, programme selection and career planning.
- Options of minor programmes
- Students can opt for minor options in other engineering disciplines offered by the Faculty of Engineering or those offered by other faculties, subject to the requirements of respective minor options.
- Option of double-degree BEng/BBA
- Students can apply for the double-degree BEng/BBA provided that they meet the additional requirements. Students will have the chance to study some business courses during their study in BEng and have an option to undertake an additional year on self-financing basis leading to the degree of Bachelor of Business Administration.
* The total number of first-year places for Bachelor of Engineering is 418. Students can choose their desired study programme after their first year of study, on the basis of academic performance.
Programme Aims and Features
This programme, formerly known as Electrical Energy Systems Engineering, has been renamed to reflect the broader nature of the course. The curriculum is designed to provide students with a sound fundamental education in all fields of electrical engineering, including electrical-energy systems, electronics, communications, computers and information technology.
The programme structure allows students to specialise in electrical-energy-related areas such as electric power systems, electric railways, electric vehicles, power electronics and building services. To enhance the professional capacities of its students, the programme includes languages, finance, management and law. The aim is to educate students to become chartered/professional electrical engineers.
Electrical energy is the backbone of modern civilisation, and the programme has received overwhelming support from the government and industry, including many offers of scholarships, prizes, training places and employment. Almost half of the world’s future electrical-energy development will be in Asia, making Hong Kong the best place to pursue innovative research and East-West technology transfer in this area.
The department is actively pursuing research in electrical-energy-related areas. The Centre for Electrical Energy Systems has firmly established itself as a centre of activity in electrical energy in the Asia-Pacific region, and the International Research Centre for Electric Vehicles already has an international reputation in the arena of electric-vehicle technology. The KCRC Electric Traction Lab, the Power Electronics Lab and the Building Services Lab also collaborate closely with industry.
Graduates in Electrical Engineering are sought-after among both commercial organisations and government agencies. Many of them join the government and the power-supply, building-services, electric-traction and electrical-services industries.