|Abbreviation to be used in the application form||Code||Number of first-year places|
Since 2012, the Faculty of Engineering has introduced the common admissions scheme, through which applicants can use one single code, 6963, to apply for any one of the seven BENG programmes.
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and
- Mechanical Engineering and Logistics Management
Features of BEng programmes are as follows:
- Contemporary Engineering education nurturing future leaders
- The Faculty of Engineering offers contemporary curriculum and stimulating learning experience for educating future leaders in the field of engineering and related fields for Hong Kong, and to nurture well-rounded graduates with specialty expertise at the present time and beyond.
- Broad-based engineering education with a wide range of choices
- Under the common admissions scheme, the education structure for the first academic year is common to all BEng students. The BEng curriculum shapes BEng students through a core set of requirements and experiences, and yet also allows flexibility through choice of disciplines and specializations.
- Stimulating learning experience
- Students will build solid foundations in engineering through active learning, capstone experience, hands-on activities, internship, exchanges studies and service learning, which prepares them to pursue any engineering discipline in their studies.
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- The curriculum encourages Engineering students to be nurtured to be able to offer solutions to real life problems via design and innovation, and to foster and advocate entrepreneurship.
- Academic advising
- Academic advising is in place to guide students for their course selection, programme selection and career planning.
- Options of minor programmes
- Students can opt for minor options in other engineering disciplines offered by the Faculty of Engineering or those offered by other faculties, subject to the requirements of respective minor options.
- Option of double-degree BEng/BBA
- Students can apply for the double-degree BEng/BBA provided that they meet the additional requirements. Students will have the chance to study some business courses during their study in BEng and have an option to undertake an additional year on self-financing basis leading to the degree of Bachelor of Business Administration.
* The total number of first-year places for Bachelor of Engineering is 418. Students can choose their desired study programme after their first year of study, on the basis of academic performance.
Programme Aims and Features
The BEng(CompSc) programme is a practical, up-to-date curriculum suitable for future IT professionals. It offers a solid education in the fundamental concepts and theories of computer science, which continue to serve as a foundation for new technologies and advances in computing. The programme also includes a wide range of advanced topics and application areas, such as advanced databases, artificial intelligence, compilers, computer security, computer vision, graphics, mobile-app development and software engineering.
Besides lecture-based courses, students have to go through practical training where they learn to put theories into practice and gain experience useful for their future careers. Internships take place in Hong Kong, mainland China and further afield. Students also have the opportunity to work on an Industrial Project in their final year, offered by outside companies, under the supervision of our teachers. Students interested in research may also opt for a credit-bearing research internship, which provides the opportunity to work on a research project under the supervision of a teacher. The design of the curriculum stresses flexibility. Students can select from a large variety of courses to fulfil the elective requirements, and these elective courses can be used as credits for a second major or minor offered by another department or faculty, such as Business, Finance, Mathematics, Music or Risk Management. Students can also enroll in an exchange programme and spend one or more semesters in an overseas institution.
The BEng(CompSc) programme is accredited by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers. Graduates can meet the academic requirements to be Graduate Members of the HKIE in the Information Discipline. This professional status is recognised through the Seoul Accord by the signatories of engineering and computing organisations in the UK, South Korea, the US, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, Japan and Taiwan.
Information technology permeates every sector of society, be it banking and finance, building and construction, government, education, IT and telecoms, property or manufacturing. IT needs are everywhere, and they call for solutions from the best-trained IT personnel. As enterprises become more aware of the benefits of improved IT, the need for more and better IT professionals is constantly on the increase. A degree in IT from a reputable university such as HKU is a valuable asset in the job market. Over 90% of the programme’s graduates obtain IT posts as analyst programmers, system engineers, web administrators, web designers, sales executives, customer-service executives, systems specialists and systems/software developers. Those with several years of experience are able to move up to senior posts such as systems analysts, system architects and project managers.
Graduates can also choose to pursue further studies. Given the reputation and standing of HKU, many of its graduates have secured places in leading schools around the world to study a masters or doctoral degree. The Department of Computer Science also offers several postgraduate IT degree programmes that are of international standard and highly popular. It is also possible to switch field to a non-IT qualification such as an MBA, for which IT knowledge is a definite advantage.