|Abbreviation to be used in the application form||Code||Number of first-year places|
Programme Aims and Features
The Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Education and Special Education programme prepares students for dual certification as both early childhood teachers and teachers of children with special educational needs in early childhood (birth–6 years). It includes (i) engaging academic courses; (ii) supervised practicum placements in multiple early childhood settings; and (iii) independent research experiences to help students facilitate the development and learning of children from birth to six years. Students will be guided by Faculty members who have extensive practical and research experience in local and international early childhood settings. They will be supported to gain the necessary knowledge, skills and attitudes to work in both integrated early childhood settings and special child care centres. Students will be competent in meeting the diverse developmental and educational needs of young children with typical development, children with developmental delays and children with developmental disabilities and they will therefore be eligible for certification as qualified kindergarten teachers, child care workers, child care supervisors, and special child care workers. They will also meet the academic requirements to serve as kindergarten principals.*As Chinese (Cantonese) is the medium of instruction in the majority of the professional practicum sites, students would need to be able to communicate effectively and fluently in Cantonese.
Graduates of the programme will
- be eligible to register as Qualified Kindergarten Teacher, Child Care Worker, and Special Childcare Worker;
- meet the professional qualifications required as kindergarten principal and child care superviso
*Subject to our applications to EDB and SWD in due course.
- Teaching positions in kindergartens and child care centres; integrated kindergartens and child care centres; special child care centres and other educational settings
- Administration in NGOs, family and children’s agencies and other educational bodies
- Research opportunities in organizations and tertiary institutions
Contacts for Further Information
Faculty of Education