|Abbreviation to be used in the application form||Code||Number of first-year places|
Programme Aims and Features
The Faculty of Education in collaboration with the Faculty of Science offers an inter-disciplinary five-year honours degree focusing on the study and teaching of the science subjects Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Combined Science and Integrated Science in the local senior secondary school curriculum.
The double-degree curriculum integrates academic and professional studies at-depth in science education. Students complete a Science major programme in the Faculty of Science, and Education Professional Core courses in the Faculty of Education. Professional aspects of the double degree are phased in gradually over the five years, including pedagogical, psychological and sociological courses, and teaching practice in Hong Kong secondary schools. The curriculum focuses on the teaching of the science subjects in local mainstream Hong Kong schools.
Students are required to complete the Education Professional Core Courses and one of the following 7 Science majors (subject to University's approval) over 5 years of studies:
- Biological Sciences
- Ecology and Biodiversity
- Food and Nutritional Science
- Molecular Biology & Biotechnology
Upon graduation, the BEd&BSc programme offers qualification equivalent to a BSc plus a Postgraduate Diploma in Education, a professional teaching qualification recognised in Hong Kong schools and possibly, internationally.
Our graduates often join the following professions:
• Teaching Science or science-related subjects in mainstream Hong Kong schools and some international schools (depending on the requirements of individual international schools)
• Conducting scientific research in tertiary institutions and government sectors
• Government quality assurance or curriculum development
• Civil service and administration
• Publishing and textbook writing
Contacts for Further Information
Faculty of Science